Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Refrigerator

Before I had a job in Food Service(I think perhaps being immersed in food and the like, takes away the thrill of caring for the fridge and food at home sometimes.) my fridge could count on a regular cleaning; every Wednesday just like the FlyLady taught me, I would clean out my refrigerator. We called it Time to 'boogie' the fridge. Meah and Andrew were here with me and Meah thought that term was the funniest thing she'd ever heard. She would help me faithfully on Wednesdays. While we sorted through mystery bowls and expiration dates, she would regale me with her Meahisms.

My poor refrigerator now gets cleaned mostly every week, but not on a set day of the week. It has to start screaming at us that it needs attention. This is one of the things my girls just won't jump in and do; I think for fear of tossing out something that I will question the rhyme and reason behind. Lindsay did it a few times and purged my garlic and ginger. I complained loudly because I didn't realize they were gone until I needed them for a recipe. She hasn't done the weekly clean out since.

So; while this isn't a recipe or even thoughts about food tasted or cooked. It is about food. Do yourself a favor like I'm going to. Set a regular date with your fridge, purge anything that is questionable. Check your expiration dates. Make a list of condiments or spices that you toss so you can replenish. It takes less than fifteen minutes to do this! You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment