Monday, January 31, 2011

Creole Cakes, Risotto with spinach, mushrooms and gorgonzola Jan 31, 2011

Tonight, I'm going to use a chicken that I cooked over the weekend and make one of our 'go to' dinners. Creole Cakes with a Remoulade sauce. I use chicken or turkey in this; depending on what I have on hand. My personal preference is chicken.


Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cakes and 2 tablespoons sauce)


Sauce:
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 tablespoons minced green onions
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Creole mustard
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of ground red pepper
Cakes:
2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
3 cups chopped cooked turkey breast
1/3 cup minced green onions
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray

To prepare the sauce, combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Chill.

To prepare the cakes, place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 1/4 cups. Set aside. Combine the turkey and next 5 ingredients (turkey through egg whites). Stir in the breadcrumbs. Divide turkey mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add patties; cook 5 minutes. Turn patties over; cook 5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with sauce.

I'm experimenting a bit tonight with risotto. I have a risotto that I love that has butternut squash, but tonight, I thought I'd try my hand at fresh baby spinach, mushrooms and gorgonzola. I'll take notes as I make it and post the recipe tomorrow if it turns out well.

An alternate side dish to this would be a rice pilaf and a spinach, pear and poppyseed salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment