Sunday, December 27, 2009


I'm making a big batch of SAUSAGE GRAVY this morning.
It starts with two rolls of a high quality sausage. I use Jimmy Dean, but it is a matter of preference. I also use one 'hot' and one 'regular', this seems to make everyone happy. Not too hot not too bland. I simmer the sausage in chicken broth (this was a secret up until just now) and break it up as it cooks. It looks a little gross starting out; but it's worth it!

While the sausage is simmering; I make a ROUX. For the purpose of this gravy that would be equal parts of flour and butter. Then black pepper and salt for the entire batch of gravy. Stir over low heat until the flour has lost that 'raw' aroma. No exact numbers here. I heard someone say once that the proper time to cook a roux was the amount of time it takes to drink a beer! Coffee would work in this instance.




The roux going in to thicken the gravy.



The Half and Half...yum


No comments:

Post a Comment